When I my alarm went off at freakin' early o'clock this morning, my first thought was "WTF?". It then dawned on me that the half marathon was today. Before the race, I had told myself that I was going to PR. I'm not sure I did because I don't have the results yet, but I shaved several minutes off the time from my race four weeks ago.
I've hesitated doing a race in Burque because of the altitude. Although there's benefit of training at 5000' and running an event at a lower elevation, something is to be said about having home court advantage. I knew the whole course, and just as things got more difficult, we were in my 'hood. Telling myself, "you run this every week; get off your ass!" seemed to do the trick.
After running a half marathon earlier in the month, I had a better sense of my body. I knew that if I felt fine at mile 7, I was fine. Today I was able to kick it up a notch.
I went into this race with low expectations and was pleasantly shocked to have it be well-organized and fun. There was water/Gatorade at nearly every mile, the volunteers/staff were supportive, and even though the race was small, I was never running alone. I'd do it again.
Sunday, August 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment